Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sat April 3d -- Picking up Coley

I hope I am not confusing you here, but this post is long overdue and should have been posted much earlier. I just have to squeeze this piece in to make the whole story complete.

Before we adopted Coley to be Caitey's lifetime companion, my biggest concern was that perhaps the new male dog would bully my poor girl. Who would have thought that things actually turned out to be the other way round, at least for now - Coley is the sweet agreeable angel while Caitey had turned into a mad jealous BBW (big blonde woman).

I was shocked to see Caitey's dark nasty side today.

She grabbed everything that Coley played with, but she had so many that she never played with for over 5 minutes;

she hates kibble but today she just HAD to eat Coley's food so the little boy had nothing left. At one point she hovered herself over Coley's water bowl so the younger one could not even drink water;

When I got mad at her for being so possessive, she blew her anger over Coley's ball, chewed it up and ripped it apart into pieces;

When she saw Coley get in her crate, she barked at Coley so ferociously that the little dog was frightened to death and shivering all over;

The worst moment however, was when I first brought Coley up to my bedroom - at that point Caitey had that killer looks in her eyes. I know what she was thinking - it is the room for Mommy and me, you stinky boy butt out!

I think Caitey is going thru very traumatic times. At 1st she was afraid that her family had abandoned her, now she is afraid that she is going to lose our attention to the younger one.

Coley actually has been super agreeable and sucking up to Caitey, literally by licking her all the time. The poor boy is doing everything he can trying to be accepted by his new family, especially his own kind.

Right now we just have to keep them separate when we can't watch them, with Caitey upstairs and the little one downstairs. It is a frustrating situation but I guess we will have to find ways to get them socialize with each other.

I can't help thinking - did we exactly do a good thing for Caitey by bringing in a companion for her so objectively? Maybe we should have "asked" her, somehow?